*Since the video was removed in Youtube, you may go to Channelfix.com to see it. :)
When I was tuning in the radio this morning, I listened to Killer Bee's "Good Times with Mo Twister". He was talking about a video made by a foreign guy about the 20 things he disliked about the Philippines. Mo Twister even interviewed Jimmy Sieczka about the video. When I got back home, the first thing I did was to check out channelfix.com. I found the video funny. I am sure though that some people might get "offended" by what was presented.
For me, it is a none issue. He did not fabricate anything. There are a lot of things to dislike about the country, but there are also many things to like in this country. Everything has pros and cons and the Philippines or Cebu is no different.
The video was obviously shot in Cebu. Here is the summary of the things he observed in Cebu.
1. Manholes covered with a drum. Well, it is a short-term fix, but it would have been more dangerous if it was left uncovered especially at night when a lot of pedestrians walk on the sidewalk. The DPWH and the local government should take note of this observation. Act fast or else people will find unique solutions to some problems. ;)
2. Cialis sellers. Oh yeah, you will see a lot of them at Robinsons Mall at Fuente Osmena. The funny thing though is that they sort of like just sell it to foreigners. I remember the outrage one time when somebody declared that tourists come to the Philippines mainly for sex. Well, the salesmen are surviving. They definitely have a good market. If you are a cheapo, go buy Robust instead, hehehe.
3. Unsanitary markets. Cannot argue with it, but supermarkets like SM are slowly killing the old-fashioned market. You can now see the sanitary and air-conditioned market every few kilometers in Cebu. Better take pics of Carbon Market, because someday your children might ask what it was like back when there was no Savemore or Hypermarket. The big businesses are actually slowly killing the small time retailers.
4. MILFs. The Moro Islamic Liberation Front existed before MILF (Mother I like to F) became a byword. What's the beef with it? Maybe it destroys some fantasies that instead of thinking of a hot mama, you will visualize a macho dude, with an M-16 instead. LOL:)5. Unsafe construction/ Unfinished buildings. There is a construction boom now in Cebu and a lot of buyers of those expensive condominiums are foreigners, hehehe. Some are even sold out, before it is being completed. Gamblers, I guess! hehehe
6. Whitening. It's good for your skin hehehe. Women outnumber men now, so that is basically survival of the fittest. Since Pinoy men or the media portray having fair skin as the definition of beauty, then what would stop those Pinays from wanting to become whiter. It would have been weird if whitening is the in thing with the Caucasians. It's just like the obsession of some for tanning. Touche' :)
7. Pollution. Is there a city now without it? Unless you go to places that are considered cities, but do not look like one. Check out cities in Negros, Mindanao, the city of Naga, Bogo, etc. There is not much pollution there. But, then again, those are different kinds of cities.
8. Plastics. Indeed, it is a annoying that you buy some small stuff and they still have to be in a plastic. Unless you are buying condoms or Cialis, plastics are useless when buying small items. hehehe
9. Shitty Drivers. If you arrest every shitty driver in the Philippines, we might solve the traffic problem, as only a handful would be able to drive. The problem though is that basic services might suffer because nobody will be driving the jeepney, buses, fire trucks, police cars, ambulances, tricycles, and "habal-habals". ;)
10. Comfort Rooms. Just bring your own tissue. If the malls places tissue inside, it might get stolen anyway. Some malls even have classier CRs for a fee. Fork out if you can afford. :)
11. Guards. They have their purpose and it is a dangerous job, after all. Do not ever try to pretend to be one. Many guards die during heists and bank robberies.
12. Peeing. Guilty, but after his rant on comfort rooms I think open spaces are more sanitary than some CRs here. hehehe.
13. Being frisked at the mall. Well, if you like touching people, you could apply as a guard. Now that is a good reason to dress up as a security guard.
14. Beeping. Beep Beep. Wait till you hear those unique beeps, like the laughing one.
15. Small Napkins. Just use many and do not forget to bring some more, because you might need it when you use the CR! :)
16. Beggars. You will find them almost everywhere, but you can tell them "Wala koy kwarta".
17. Roosters. Try going to a cockpit and see a cockfight to get your immunity. :)
18. Bass. Boom Boom Bo Boom Boom Yeah Super Bass. Usually you will find the nice looking girls in those places, just follow the base. :)
19. Lady Boys, Prostis, and Koreanos. Some like them. It is a niche. The Koreanos are part of the economy. Multiplier effect. hehe
20. Traffic Boys. Oh yeah, annoying. But, it is good that they just do that, rather than be a snatcher. You are lucky that they do not steal your stereo or side mirrors. With 5 pesos, you actually encourage them to be cops, rather than robbers. :)
All in all, it was a funny video. If you have a good idea, they might be able to help you make your own funny video. I might make one, myself, because I am "pissed off". Hehehe. ;)
Places: Plantation Bay Resort
Summer Outing at Portofino