Ash Wednesday Reflections

Ash Wednesday marks the start of Lent for Catholics. Today, I will go to church to have my forehead marked with ash. This day marks the Catholics period of prayer and fasting. It is time to reflect, repent, and restore. Unlike our Muslims who are strictly fasting during Ramadan, the lenten fast is more personal than imposed by an authority. It is not compulsory. What can I give up on these 40 days?

Nobody is perfect and just like everyone, I feel that i have a lot to improve in life. For me, lent is not just about not eating meat on Fridays. It is time to realize that you can survive with less. You can actually let go of many things that you have now in life. So what should I give up? Maybe, I can give up the things that I love so much like eating out or playing computer games. I could do that but I cannot write down here in my blog the things that I should give up. I am making a list and hoping and praying that I can truly give those up even if its only for 40 days. It's tough to kick bad habits and vices but lent is the perfect time to do some 180 degree turns in life. For people who desire to change, today will be a nice day to start. Have a blessed Lenten season.


By the way, here is the new English translation of the Lord's Prayer:

“Our Father who art in heaven
Hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil.”

The new Roman missal will be used in masses starting advent of 2012. The Catholic Church in the country is slowly integrating new translations of the mass to prepare for the full implementation of the new Roman missal.

Links:

Comments

Popular Posts